Based at MSEA Headquarters, Augusta, ME|
Posted: Jun 30, 2022
Union Field Representative
Maine Service Employees Association, SEIU Local 1989, is seeking to hire an experienced Union Representative to serve its affiliated local unions.
MSEA-SEIU Local 1989 is a labor union representing over 13,000 public and private sector employees throughout the State of Maine.
- Enforce represented-employee’s rights and interests under collective bargaining agreements
- Investigate and analyze facts, prepare witnesses and case presentations, represent employees in investigatory meetings, disciplinary meetings, grievance meetings and at mediation and arbitration
- Assist stewards and members in using all steps of the formal grievance process including administrative hearings and arbitrations
- Identify, recruit, train and mentor union stewards
- Identify, recruit, train and support member leaders
- Engage membership in union activity including: identify worksite issues, organize and take worksite concerted activity, implement contract campaigns, engage in political program, engage in public pressure campaigns
- Recruit new members and assist with internal organizing
- Develop and implement creative organizational strategies to build the local union and advance the interests of its members
- Lead workers in contract negotiations and impact bargaining with public and private sector employers
- Assist in planning and conducting educational programs
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated commitment to the principles of organized labor to build power for working people
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to relate to workers from a wide range of backgrounds
- Ability to be self-directed, think on your feet, and solve problems creatively
- Ability to handle stress and juggle competing demands
- Ability to communicate effectively orally and in writing
- Ability to argue and advocate on behalf of represented employees
- Ability to work independently and follow strategic campaign plans
- Ability to organize work, manage a large and diverse representational workload, and meet frequent deadlines
- Experience with advocating for union members and negotiating contracts strongly preferred
- Experience in developing leadership
- Experience with building worker power through organizing
- Proficient with computers, internet research tools, and Microsoft applications
- Experience with databases like VAN or UnionWare preferred
- Ability to write settlement agreements, contract language, reports and summaries, and to utilize databases;
- Must be able to travel for extended periods, and to work long hours, including nights and weekends as needed
- Must have a car and a valid driver’s license
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field preferred
This position is a bargaining unit position.
MSEA- SEIU is committed to diversity and encourages women and minorities to apply for this position.
Send résumé, references and writing sample to: Jessica Doody, Executive Assistant, MSEA- SEIU Local 1989, 65 State Street, Augusta, ME 04330 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Position will be posted until filled.